Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"Education in a Connected World"

Presenter - Dr. Glen Gatin (Researcher & Online University Professor)

Glen Gatin's presentation was interesting. Gatin talked about the changing role of the educator in the classroom due to changes in technology. This got me thinking about how much classroom instruction has changed over the years. I remember a time (when I was very wee) when the only computers we had were those old grey Commodor 64's!! I know that you know the ones I am talking about!!

Let me refresh your memory...


Ohyeah..you know it. What a sweet machine! And don't forget the means of storage we used to use...


Absolutely BEAUTEOUS... (that's for you Jess)

Wow, how times have changed!

I must say, I much prefer using storage devices such as a “thumb drive” or even online tools such as dropbox, as they are just so much more convenient and manageable.



Technology is evolving at such a fast rate that most of the world's population can't keep up. I feel like it is going to be a huuuuge challenge to prepare myself to teach students authentically, while constantly trying to keep both myself and the students technologically competent. The following video inspires me, but also makes me feel sooo unprepared in our ever growing world of technological advances.

1 comment:

  1. Holy smokes, there are some staggering numbers in that video. The music was pretty hypnotic too. Well done searching that one out. I think it would be fair to say that there is no way we are going to be able to stay fully ontop of all technological advances for our students, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try our best. As we have noted in class before I'm sure that the students will be the ones bringing us up to date a lot of the time and then it will be us trying to comprehend how to incorporate that new technology. Hard to believe how fast everything is growing and changing. The future is going to be interesting. Yep, those are my deep parting words...better than a cliche I suppose.

    ReplyDelete